Short Form

 I'm spending the day roping together a story for a 500-word challenge, and if I have learned one thing this day, it is that I am not a terse rhino. The first draft was over three times as long as the maximum, and I hadn't even worked out the details yet. Subsequent drafts are forcing me to pare down the prose, make every adjective matter, find the details without dwelling on them.

It's a challenge, and I like it. Once it's in the bag, I'll post it up here. I can't say I'll be delving into the short form any time soon, but I'm sure there's skills and muscles that will apply to the longer pieces, too.

For now, it's trim and tweak and rewrite and repeat. All punches and no pauses. A tough workout for a softie old rhino!

🧩🦏 

Popular posts from this blog

On Draft2Digital, and Bookspam

Cuts and Adds

Creativity Under Fire