We Named the Blog "Indie"

I'm not sure when the rebrand took place, probably in the lean decade and a half between my own publishing attempts, but "self-published" became "indie publishing" (and "vanity presses" often became "hybrid.") No matter the branding, it's living DIY mindset and aesthetic and knowing and avoiding pitfalls.

In 2012, when I first tried, the book landscape was very different. Amazon was still dominant, of course, but Barnes & Noble was a competitor, and truly indie distribution options were limited. It's been a while, but I think I chose B&N and Smashwords for an eBook, and CreateSpace for the print editions. I remember being of the "anything but Amazon" mindset, which now feels quaintly progressive. They were always the 500 pound gorilla in the middle of the living room, but it was easier to pretend to ignore them.

Here in 2026, Amazon has swept up CreateSpace, Draft2Digital long-since absorbed Smashwords, and Barnes and Noble is, somehow, still hanging on. Indie book stores exist, though the avenues to populate them are the same as the other major print distributors (Ingram.) I'm still rooting for the indies, but the gorilla thumps on the walls with regularity these days. It's absolutely impossible to ignore, or even pretend to ignore. I'll be co-lecturing this fall on indie publishing and the DIY approach, and as much as I want to take a moral stance and say "you can avoid Amazon," they have done a fine job making it possible for anyone to publish anything. By comparison, B&N's online tools are... fine... and Ingram's make me want to slam my hand in a drawer because of their opaqueness and rough edges. Draft2Digital's tool are very good, and they distribute to many other stores, but even they won't fling over the fence to Amazon any more, and they get a little scold-y about trying to not include their branding in your content (no, I don't want your custom backmatter, no, I want my full cover.)

The lecture is going to be, in a nutshell: if you're starting out, start at Amazon and fan out, in time. Maybe. The cost in my time is not to be ignored.

I wish it wasn't this way. I wish we had a better ecosystem for artists to create and share. It's ironic, in an era when "content" (and now tagged content) is so valuable that we have so few channels to distribute through, and those channels are clogged with a mix of human and AI-created stuff. This should be a time of more pathways, not fewer. And yet.

So, on this Independence Day, I'm thinking about what it means to be truly independent. I'm deep in DIY territory, but still beholden to a billionaire for putting it out in the world. Companies like Draft2Digital still get my support, because some choice is better than none. I'm running a sale now on Smashwords just to try and throw some support at the little guy.

Popular posts from this blog

On Draft2Digital, and Bookspam

Cuts and Adds

Creativity Under Fire